Christ Methodist Church began in 1954, meeting the first Sunday in October at a nearby elementary school. Dr. Katherine Lechnar, a retired missionary, donated 3 acres of land for the church to build on at 35th and Harvard. Our first pastor was Rev. Wilson B. Schultz, and the first building was completed in July of 1955.
In 1957 Rev. George Graham came to serve Christ Church as Tulsa began expanding toward 41st and Harvard. During this time, Christ Church became a place for the young couples and families who populated the area. In 1961, Rev. Charles Wells was appointed and under his leadership the construction of the sanctuary began. He was followed by Dr. Winfred McBride who served until 1969.
In June of 1969, Dr. Robert D. Pierson was appointed Senior Pastor and challenged to bring solutions to financial difficulties and dropping attendance associated with the construction of the sanctuary. He ultimately used Charles Sheldon’s book “In His Steps”, that he read as a youth, to encourage the members to read and put the concept of following in the steps of Jesus into practice.
During his 37 years as senior pastor, Dr. Pierson saw the church begin to grow and prosper and he initiated many programs to serve the church and the community. Divorce Adjustment Workshops as well as a singles ministry known as Phoenix were created as was the establishment of a Christian Counseling Center. In the 1980’s the Family Life Center was built and the sanctuary was expanded to seat 800 people, and The Walk to Emmaus spiritual retreat began to be held at Christ Church periodically. In 1971, the Early Learning Center preschool was established. During Dr. Pierson’s time at Christ Church, there was a strengthening of the Sunday School program with special focus on children and youth.
Dr Pierson was one of the first Methodist pastors sent to Russia after the Iron Curtain fell in the 1990’s. He led a mission team to Russia and was successful in helping to bring more than 15 Methodist churches into being with the help of a former atheist who gave her life to Christ on their first mission trip to the area.
In 1994, Christ Church became a leader in the growing trend to having a contemporary worship service as well as a traditional one. Widow/Widower Adjustment Workshops, Kids Connection, the Tuesday Morning Miracle Workers who helped build houses for Habitat for Humanity, and an after school tutoring service were started. Redemption Church and Exodus House were initiated. We also began a journey with Boy Scout Troup 8 and became a Teaching Church, hosting several teaching conferences for various national pastors and church workers.
In 2006, Rev. Bob Feist was appointed senior pastor of Christ Church. Since then Christ Church has continued to grow under his leadership with many new and innovative programs such as Upward Basketball, High Impact Hospitality, Hurting Parents, Stephen Ministry, Community Breakfasts and Homeless ministry, and Family Promise, a ministry to homeless families. In 2019, our overseas ministries to Russia have continued recently sending a ministry team to Stavrapol, Russia to help Pastor Irina Mitina with her ministry to the Roma people. We have sent mission teams to Mexico, and recently sent a ministry team to Puerto Rico.
Under Pastor Bob’s leadership, we have continued to refresh our approach to the modern worship service with imaginative uses of the elements of worship available. With the help of our professional technicians we have enhanced the worship experience for our modern service participants. Our traditional worship has also been updated and refreshed with our excellent Chancel Choir and Bell Ringers at the forefront enhanced by national and local musicians of the highest quality.
We continue to be a “Good Samaritan” church caring for local, state, national, and world needs. The “Christyle” continues to fuel our ministry. Our motto is “Making disciples of Jesus, Changing Lives, and Transforming our World.”
Know · Love · Serve